Kochi: The issue of eviction of Dalit families living in Pariyathukavu area of Kizhakkambalam in Ernakulam district of Kerala has again gained momentum. Perumbavoor Munsiff Court on Thursday ordered the police to evacuate 7-8 Dalit families living in the area by May 23. This order was given on the basis of the report which was presented by the Advocate Commissioner in the court. Efforts to evacuate the families on Wednesday did not succeed due to strong opposition from local people, the report said.
Ownership of the land is with someone else
On Wednesday, a large police team reached the spot with riot control equipment. The police had gone to vacate about two and a half acres of land with the help of the Advocate Commission. According to the order of the Supreme Court, the ownership of this land has been declared to be with another person. However, as soon as the officials tried to enter the area, the locals started protesting. Soon the situation became tense and the police had to use water cannons to disperse the protesters. During this period many people were also detained.
Case registered against 50 people for protesting
Police later identified 50 people and registered a case against them. According to an official at Thadiyattaparambu police station, these people have been accused of preventing government employees from performing their duty. A case has been registered against them under relevant sections of the Indian Justice Code i.e. BNS. CPM has also become active in this whole matter. The party formed a security committee in the area on Thursday to protect the families from any further police action.
‘Only public movement can give them security’
Senior CPM leader P. Rajeev, after visiting the area, said that the previous LDF government had planned to give land rights to the people living there as per the rules after the survey process was completed. He said, ‘The survey process could not be completed before the change of government. Now the way force was used is condemnable. Therefore a security committee has been formed here. Earlier, people used to get security even without a committee, but now the situation has changed and only public movement can provide them security.
Orders given to investigate police action
Rajiv demanded from the state government that the survey process should be completed soon and till then no action should be taken regarding the land. At the same time, State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala has also taken the matter seriously. He directed state police chief Ravada Chandrasekhar to conduct a thorough investigation into the police action in Kizhakkambalam and submit the report within 3 days. The Home Minister said that in the investigation it should be seen whether there was any mistake or deficiency on the part of the police. Besides, suggestions should also be given to deal with such situations in future, so that such incidents do not happen again.
The man won the legal battle in the Supreme Court
Actually, this dispute is many years old. Another person had claimed ownership of the land on which Dalit families had been living for a long time. In the case going on in the courts, the Supreme Court also accepted the rights of the same person as valid. After this, the Kerala High Court gave instructions to enforce the rights of the person on the basis of which this eviction campaign is being conducted. On the other hand, the affected families say that the land they are living on is government land and not private. However, all the petitions filed on his behalf have been rejected by the courts.

SK Sharma is a content writer who writes on news, entertainment, and lifestyle topics. She has over four years of experience and is known for conveying information in simple and clear language.
